Keyword Research: The Best Crash Course for Beginners
One of the most important SEO practices is keyword research. The keywords or phrases that you choose to include in your website content are how you gain leads. People will find your website based on what they search for in search engines like Google. Learning how to use the right keywords that define your business and industry is pivotal. In this article, you will learn about the benefits of keyword research and how to successfully use it to your advantage.
What types of keywords are there?
There are several types of keywords that you should know about. The three types of keywords are:
- Head Keywords: These are usually 1 to 2 words that have a high search volume. For instance, think of “Netflix shows” or “food delivery.” These keywords have a high search volume.
- Body Keywords: These are 2 to 3-word phrases that have a mid-level search range. For instance, this could be “best SEO practices.”
- Long-tail Keywords: These consist of more than 4 words and they have a low search volume. Long-tail keywords are the best to use because of their specificity. Everyone is searching for “Netflix shows” but is everyone searching for “Netflix shows that make your day better?”
Latent Semantic Indexing
Latent semantic indexing is a mathematical method that search engines use to help you find what you are searching for. This method pays attention to what words you type into the search engine and puts forth possible suggestions.
For instance, when you type in “bathing” into Google, several options appear. These options include “bathing suits,” “bathing suit cover-ups,” “bathing suits target,” and “bathing suit websites.” The search engines are putting similar words together to help you find what you are looking for based on word association.
When performing keyword research, it is best to rely on latent semantic indexing. Type in the main keyword you would like your content to focus on in a search engine. Take note of the phrases that are related to your keyword. These results are what people are searching for and using these phrases can enhance your search engine optimization. Use long-tail keywords to make your content more specific so it will rank high with search engines.
Understanding Search Intent
When researching keywords, you must understand how your content plays a part in the user’s search. There are 4 main types of user search intent:
- Navigational: When a user searches for a particular website
- Informational: When a user searches for an answer to a question
- Investigational: When a user searches for information about a product or service that can lead to a purchase.
- Transactional: When a user is ready to buy a product/service.
You must understand the purpose your content serves. Is your article supposed to help people understand “how to start a garden” or “the best Hulu shows to watch?” When you understand how you would want your content to help the user, then you can choose the best keyword.
Keyword research can be a difficult SEO practice to understand at first. But you do not have to do this alone. We are the SEO experts at Shaka Web Design Services, and we create websites that drive results and rank high in search engines. Let us help you find the perfect keyword for your business. Get in touch with us today!